Soma pills (Carisoprodol) are a popular medication used for relief among patients suffering from musculoskeletal pain. Carisoprodol is sold under the brand name SOMA for the underlying usage. This medication belongs to the class of drugs called skeletal muscle relaxants.
Musculoskeletal pain is a medical condition in which the patient undergoes sudden severe pain that directly affects the muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints, and bones. This painful sensation can also be related to arthritis. If treatment is not availed at the right time using medications like Soma, musculoskeletal pain starts interfering with routine activities. Hence, it is better to act earlier get prescribed the respective dosage of Soma pills.
Uses of Soma Pills
The key usage of Soma pills is for treating muscular pain discomfort. It works best when prescribed in combination with other treatments physical therapies. Patients prescribed with Soma drug have to use it only for the short-term as this medicine is highly effective.
Available Dosage Alternatives for Soma Drug
· SOMA 250mg tablets
· SOMA 350mg tablets
How to use Soma pills? [Dosage Instructions]
· Soma drug (Pain O Soma) is available as an oral tablet. It is usually consumed with or without having meals in recommended dosage strength.
· The patient may be prescribed a thrice-a-day dosage of Soma tablets, based on their health conditions. However, this is only for your information. Follow the dosage guidelines provided by your doctor.
· Using more or less than the prescribed dosage will either make it risky for the patient or ineffective.
· Patients are suggested to take the exact prescribed dosage for the medicine to work as expected. Don’t use it for a shorter or longer duration. Ideally, it is prescribed for use for 3 weeks (maximum) or less based on the patient’s health improvements. You may visit the doctor to track the progress.
· Please refrain from discontinuing Soma tablets without being instructed by your doctor. The sudden withdrawal effects may affect your health negatively.
What to do in case of missed/skipped dosage?
You may continue with your next scheduled dosage in case if you have missed using Soma at the prescribed timings. As this oral pill is mostly used thrice a day and at bedtime, you should avoid doubling the next dosage just because you forget to take it. However, make sure that you don’t skip your medicine more often else it will affect the overall effectiveness of Soma pills.
What to do in case of overdose?
Overdosing Soma could be dangerous for your health as increasing the dosage will not make it more effective. In case, if you’ve used multiple pills at a time, consult your doctor immediately before the symptoms get worse.
Who should NOT use Soma drug?
Soma drug is not recommended for use among the following:
· Pregnant/nursing women
· Children below 16 years
· Adults above 60 years
· Patients allergic to Carisoprodol or using medicines that conflict with Soma
· Patients having critical health disorders (See Warnings Precautions for more)
Side Effects of Soma
The following are the side effects that may appear after using Soma pills. It’s alright if they’re in nominal nature seem to subside after a few hours. Consult your medical care provider promptly if they seem to get worse.
· Inflammatory skin reaction
· Rashes on skin
· Itching sensations
· Swelling on your tongue, throat, or face
· Problems in breathing
Ask your doctor regarding the care instructions if any of these side effects happen to you.
Rare side effects after using Soma pills may be any of the following:
· WBC Downfall
· Eosinophil’s level rises in the blood
· Blood pressure drops
· Extreme lightheadedness resulting in fainting
· Mild/Heavy Fever
Note: Please seek immediate medical attention in case of rare side effects.
Drug Interactions with Soma Pills
Carisoprodol 350 mg tablet is the major active component of the Soma drug. However, it isn’t the only one. Soma is composed of alginic acid, starch, magnesium stearate, tribasic calcium phosphate, and potassium sorbate as important ingredients too.
If the patient is already undergoing treatment with some other medication, they should discuss with the doctor if these medicines are safe to use with Soma.
Here is the list of conflicting medications that are not recommended to use along with Soma tablets:
· Anti-anxiety medicines
· Sleeping pills
· Drowsiness-promoting drugs (i.e. cough medicines, opioid pain relievers)
· Alcoholic beverages
· Muscle relaxants (like methocarbamol, cyclobenzaprine, etc)
· Antihistamines (like diphenhydramine, cetrizine, etc)
Warnings Precautions while using Soma tablets
· Make sure your doctor knows about your ongoing medications (OTC, herbal, or prescription drugs you’re using currently).
· Tell your doctor about your allergies, especially if you’re allergic to mebutamate, meprobamate, or tybamate before you start using Soma.
· Patients having critical health issues like kidney and liver diseases, blood disorders, cardiovascular problems, seizures, etc should let the doctor know about it during consultation sessions.
· Soma tablets will likely make you feel drowsy after consuming them. Hence, don’t attempt any activities where your concentration is fully required (driving, operating heavy machinery, etc). Your health may be at stake otherwise.
· If you’re consistently seeing side effects after using Soma they aren’t fading away, you better consult your doctor before taking the further dosage.
· Pregnant or breastfeeding ladies should avoid using Soma tablets.
· This medicine is not for use among children less than 16 years.
· Sometimes, Soma is not prescribed to adult patients over 60 years of age because it may cause confusion, sedations, and cognitive impairment that further leads to health risks.
· Soma (Carisoprodol) tablets should be stored at the normal room temperature (15-25 Degrees Celsius)
· Keep it away from direct heat or sunlight
· Make sure it is out of reach of children
You’re now aware of the details to discuss with the doctor with all the essential information by your side. We recommend you to take this blog as a brief guide about Soma Drug that’ll help you to know the medicine better. In conclusion, please buy it only after consulting your doctor.
Many OTC medications, prescription drugs herbal supplements are not suitable in combination with Gabapin. You have to take care that these drugs are not used along with Gabapin 350 mg. If you cannot stop their intake for the duration you’ll be using Gabapin, then seek guidance from your doctor on keeping a safe gap between these drugs.